Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Emerging Technologies in the Classroom

The three technologies I chose to focus on are the skype program, document camera, and the Smartboard. Skype is a program that is used to video chat over the internet to other skype users. To download skype for your computer access this website: http://register.skype.com/en-us-skype?cmmmc=google/ latsearch-_-NA-USENSTRCT-_-BD kwid=JFT008286 creative=30146 72189& JAWS= zhwyha&gclid =CKrI7Pre0JkCFQ6jagodyV_Stg. A document camera is basically a modern version of an overhead projector. It reflects the image of any document or book that is placed under it and then projects it onto a screen. For more information about how a document camera can be used visit this website: http:/ www.emints. org/ethemes/resources/S00002162.shtml. The Smartboard is a mobile board that can be hooked up to your computer and used with a wide aray of applications. To find more about the uses for the Smartboard access the following website: www.kenton.k12.ky.us/smartboard/SMARTBoardinfo.pdf.
Skype is a fantastic tool that can be used with interactive projects. Instead of the teacher having to set up phone calls or only using email, the students are able to interact with one another face to face. It really adds an exciting element to any lesson. A document camera is a time saver for a teacher who likes to have what ever they are working on projected for the whole class to see. Instead of having to prepare the documents and make transparencies, the teacher can simply place the document or project right underneath the camera and have it instantly projected for the whole class to see. The Smartboard would allow a teacher to get extremely creative with they way they taught lessons and the programs they used. It would allow the teacher to create more interactive lessons that are more engaging to the students.
I think that Skype would really impact the student's motivation and excitement about learning. I used the program as an adult and had a blast talking to someone accross the room. I feel like students would really be excited about being able to use this technology. A document camera would allow students who are more visual learners to be able to better understand the processes and instructions of lessons. Smartboard would allow students to demonstrate their ability to create a project and present it effectively to the class. The teacher would be able to view their communication skills easily and assess whether or not their communication skills meet the standards. This is just one example of the mastery that students would be able to demonstrate with this technology.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Skype is a great tool to use in the classroom. I think you give your students the ability to talk to other classrooms across the country. This can help to do similar projects with classrooms across the country and see each others progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job Erika! I think you picked very interesting technologies that are very practical for the classroom and could be used everyday. I think a document cameras are something most people will have in their classroom, and you had good ideas for it. WOW!

    ReplyDelete